5 ways to get rid of writer's block

It's inevitable - the block gets us one day. It is as if the words refuse to flow, thickened somewhere in the brain, not moving, getting hazy as moment passes...nothing to type. The familiar keyboard doesn't help. If you do use the keyboard, it is the backspace that gets the most hits! Does it ring a bell? Yes, we all go through this and you are not alone. We cannot avoid it - but we can definitely come out of it faster.

Here is how -

Write, write and write - The most easiest way to come out of writer's block is to write! Forcing yourself to write something no matter how ugly it is would help getting the juices flow. I feel that the block is nothing but the fear of writing something terrible, something you would hate to know are your words. The best way to shoo away that fear is to actually put in those words out in the open. Good thing is you need not have to show it to someone else. You can be the only reader! Once the worst is over, you can only get better!

Go back to your favourite author - One of our most common inspirations are our favourite authors. They have inspired, coaxed, demanded and threatened us to write and write better. Sometimes, writer's block is a plea for a break and it would be great idea to go back to our masters and get rejuvenated! We have discovered our talents in their words and I am in no doubt that when you have finished reading them, you would ache to come back to your desk and type away the rest!

"Word-a-day" - I remember inventing this game in my initial days as a writer. I would often be at a loss of what to write due to various reasons (that should come in a separate blog :)) and I would think of ways to make myself write. "Word-a-day" is simple and effective. I would look at my surroundings and pick up any object among them randomly and say, "Ok...this is my topic. I need to write 250 words about this". Lo! I would force the words to come and as days would pass, I would start deliberating picking some things over others because they would interest me! As I said, it is very simple game to play. All you need is a determination that you would write those 250 words without giving up! The rest is easy.

Turn in to a critic - If you cannot write than start reviewing your older work. Some find it very embarrassing to read their work later, but that's one of the highs I get in my life! Reading and commenting on my articles/writings makes me much more aware of what kind of writer I am. It simultaneously also infuses in me the excitement to write something better. When you are short of words and are reviewing your own work, don't forget to keep pen and paper handy. I bet there would be moments when you would feel, "ah...this line is what makes it attractive", "oh...this could be phrased better!"...and so on. The important thing is it is making you think about words and hence, your brain is trying to form sentences again!

Do not give up and go on a long break - Going on a long break is the greatest danger during these times. I did it once and I regret it till date. You need to realize that writer's block is temporary and is not a proof that you are a bad writer. This thought scares the writer away in to oblivion and all that is left is lost clients, projects. When you get the inspiration again to write, all you are left with is starting everything from scratch. No need to add, it is not a pretty picture! So, do whatever you can, but do not be away from your writing desk for a long time.

Finally, any career would have its ups and downs and freelance writing is no different. In fact, the decision to freelance in much braver than any secure company job and it demands much more patience and work from you. You have taken that decision which means you are brave. Do not let a tiny obstacle like writer's block stop you! All the best!

31 comments:

  1. This was very useful for me. It is so easy to get writers block. I read somwhere that a good way to think of an idea is to record your dreams and use them as a starting point for a story. I'm not sure if this works though!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This works! Most of my stories started off as dreams.

      Delete
  2. Really? But I forget almost always forget my dreams! lol!
    Thanks for leaving a comment and I hope you like it. You can also visit www.finishyournovel.weebly.com for more. This is where I write more now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for writing this helpful article.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im currently writing my first book, and got writers block half way threw so I searched the web for different ways to get rid of the block. Then I read this and it helped me so much.Before I read this I thought it was because of me I couldn't get threw my block since I'm only 14 years old. THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always record my dreams in a dream book as soon as I wake up (It's when the dream is most clear to me) and I keep it beside my bed. I start writing from dreams that seem like really great ideas and that may intrigue others other than myself. It's helped me write a bunch of stories. i've never heard of that before. :) I think I may just re-read (critic idea) over the whole thing and maybe something might come to me. My problem is usually that I have too many ideas to pick from and I'm afraid if I pick the wrong idea it may screw up my story.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello there, I totally understand when you talk about your fear of picking about the wrong idea. It can really screw up the whole story. However, the good part is "being the critic". We can always go back and change it when we review it. And since you already keep a log of your ideas, you are lucky. Pluck one of those great ideas from your book and you are done. For a lot of us, we are not smart enough to note it and phew! breaks my heart to see those words getting washed away. But needs to be done if we want a better story!
    Thanks for stopping by!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I have writers block, no ideas flow to my mind. I try to use my dreams, but words don't evolve when I picture the little movie playing in my head. As I write, it's like a movie, it plays in my head, over and over until I have it written down. I am currently the apprentice of an author, he told me to take a break for a little while and then go back to it. So I did, and it helped me a lot, because after a while, words began to flow back to my mind, with the pictures. Your second suggestion, works very well. Also, another way is to read more, that defiantly helps get the energy pumping. lol

    ReplyDelete
  8. Reading more definitely helps! It is so much more comfortable to just sink in to the cushioned world of our favourite authors and forget all about our writing. :) I am glad you found your way to fight the writer's block and all the best with your writing goals!

    ReplyDelete
  9. A request to everyone posting comments here. Please please please leave your name on your comments so that I can address you properly. It feels good to know the person behind all those wonderful and useful comments you leave at my website. Thanks a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  10. i think this might help me..im 15 and im writing a book and i constantly am stuck with writers block thanks so much:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. you are welcome. All the best with your book!

    ReplyDelete
  12. The word a day thing did it for me :) I THINK I LOVE YOU! <3

    ReplyDelete
  13. I find that when I'm stuck trying to write something, I go back and look at what I just wrote. Then, instead of moving the story forward, I take the same scenario and write it in another character's perspective. This allows me to keep "those creative juices flowing" and also develop other characters and make more than just the main character dynamic and round.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm on my sequal for a book. It's hard I've had writers block for 3 months now. I hope all of this will help me thank you :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Thank you so much! I am an aspiring writer and about the middle of my book I got writer's block. I kept writing but it was pitiful. I realized that all I needed to after writing all of it was go back and edit, edit, edit!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you so much! I am writing on 3 books at once and im getting writers block! O_O.
    I know awful right? Well this helped alot, im starting to get thoughts flowing in my mind! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Writer's block is really counter-productive for professional writers.
    Nice advice.

    ReplyDelete
  19. What advice would you give to those of us who did, in a sense, give up and go on a longer than necessary break?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Thank you so mutch Im 11 ive wrote 3 novels but now im expiriencing writers block:)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yes! Oh my god. This is perfect. Thank you, thank you for making this.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for all the help. I was starting to worry about due dates because of my writers block.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I guess I haven’t read such unique material anywhere else online.
    writing

    ReplyDelete
  24. Enna Scott February
    Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm only 13 butI know I want to be a writer.This article is definitly helping. Writer's block comes to me from time to time and I don't know what to do. Thank you so much for suggestions.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Everyone loves it when folks get together and share opinions. Great website, stick with it!

    ReplyDelete
  27. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AVqJOyJvTCI -- see the REAL reason you have writer's block and then you won't need tips like these

    ReplyDelete