Low-paying writing projects - Should you take it?

Getting desperate with no work? Is all that you are offered are $1-$2 writing jobs? You are not alone...
I have never understood why writing is not paid as good as any other profession that involves intellect. Every writer, whether print or online, knows what goes in to adorning the page with words every time he/she writes and yet, all that is being offered for the work of the mind is $1. Of all the emotions that goes through then, it is the emotion of shame and despair is what dominates everything else...Is my writing that bad? Can I never make a living out of it? Is this all I can get? Should I continue writing? These are some of the questions that crop up in our minds and rightly so. However, do not let these doubts bog down your indomitable spirit. High - paying writing jobs are out there - we just need to know where to look for!
I admit it is hard to find and I have been going through the same rigmarole every morning and night. However, I do not believe in giving up searching at all. Every now and then, my keen eye does spot a good opportunity in the making and if not at all times, it does strike the right chord! It would be utterly wrong on my part to say that good projects are hidden in only one or two sites. They are scattered all over and it is as important to explore a low paying site as it is to explore a premium site. However, they come to only those who seek it passionately. One of the things I do everyday is set aside an hour each every morning and night and spend solely on seraching for these precious gems. I must confess it has helped stumble upon real good places to find some decent work. The important point here is the dedicated and planned combing of the internet everyday to smoke out the good ones and discard the bad ones.
It would be endeavour to post any good opportunities and places that I would find so that you guys can explore as well. I am sure you might find right what you were searching all this while!

Again, it would be very wrong to quote a indecent price if you are just starting out. It is a good practice to start off with a lower but good price till you gain enough experience to challenge the market! I think $15-20 per 500 worded article is a price you can quote if you are just starting out but have enough grey cells to provide exceptional quality.
And that's what we should be doing instead of accepting the insulting 1$ jobs! It is our right to be paid decently for the wonderful work we do. We wield our pen (and keyboards!) to give words to the emotions when others cant think of any and we should demand a decent pay for the same! Therefore, say NO to $1 jobs!

2 comments: